Sunday, February 20, 2011

The One About Food

It's no secret that I spent the majority of my twenties subsisting on Lean Cuisines.  I was that girl who brought a bag of chips to the parties where everyone had to bring a dish.  I did not cook, and  I had no interest in it. 

Fast forward to getting engaged...I didn't agree with the stereotype that it suddenly became my "job" to cook for us.  I had a job, thankyouverymuch.  My first attempts were rooted more in health-consciousness (Holy Cow, I found a man!  I hope he lives a looooong time because I'll never find anyone like him again!  Give him some broccoli!) as well as establishing a sense of family.  I'm a big believer in family meals.  They don't have to be fancy or even home cooked, but as much as possible, everyone needs to be sitting at the table together.  Actually, this was the only "non-negotiable" I can remember when we were first married. 

Eventually, my thinking morphed into, "Well, if we're sitting and eating together, we might as well be eating something good."  And lo and behold, I discovered I actually kind of liked cooking.  I know, right?  Crazy.  It's not always my favorite task, but there is something satisfying about feeding people. 

Normally, I would rather cook than bake, but this afternoon, I decided to make cookies using this recipe:

Caramel Filled Chocolate Cookies
Yield: 24 cookies
Ingredients:
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/4 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup + 2 Tablespoons cocoa powder
24 rolos
1/4 cup granulated sugar
Directions:
1. Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees. Cream butter and sugars until fluffy. Add egg and vanilla then mix until combined.
2. In a separate bowl mix flour, baking soda, salt & cocoa powder. Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients in three batches, mixing well between each batch. Chill dough for 1 hour in the fridge or 20-30 minutes in the freezer.
3. Scoop out ~1 Tablespoon dough and wrap it around a Rolo candy. Roll dough in sugar and place on a baking sheet. Bake for 8 minutes, rotating pan half way through.

DELISH!  The cookies somewhat crumbly but hello, they were chocolate and caramel, so neither of us really cared! 

No comments:

Post a Comment