Friday, February 17, 2012

How to Clean Grates on a Gas Stove

I saw a tutorial on Pinterest about using ammonia to clean the grates on a gas stove.  It promised "no scrubbing," and I am all about no scrubbing, so I decided to put it to the test.

Here is a Before pic:

This is a 12-hour process, so that is something that needs to be taken into consideration.  I chose a day where I knew I wasn't using the stove that night.  Alternatively, you could just begin the process in the evening and let the cleaning happen overnight. 

I put the grates into turkey-sized oven bags and filled each bag with approximately 1 gallon of ammonia.  (Then I stuck my head out the window for a minute- phew!)  I just taped the bags closed, and the seal must have been okay because I didn't smell the ammonia after the bags were closed. 



After about 6 hours, I could see little pieces of yuck floating in the water.


At the end of the 12 hours, I took the grates out of the bags, rinsed them, and wiped them with a microfiber cloth.  I didn't do any scrubbing, and they look fantastic!!  There is a water spot on the picture below, which is kind of deceiving, but they really did look like new!



So there you have it:  an easy, no-scrub way to clean grates on a gas stove!

4 comments:

  1. Can't use ammonia; husband is allergic to it. I'll try soaking the grates in my tub with my Dawn/Vinegar combination. It should work well. I'll let you know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You really don't need a gallon of ammonia; a cup or so will do because it's the fumes that do the work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I forgot to send my reply about the Dawn-vinegar combination. It worked great on the grates. I use 1/4 cup Dawn mixed gently into 3/4 cup water and put it into a spray bottle. (The Oxy-Clean stain remover bottle is just the right size for my hands, and I fill it only 1/3 full; less weight for my arthritis hands to hold.) It's great for cleaning the tub and shower, bathroom sink and toilet. I take baths about 3 times a week to ease the discomfort from my arthritis, and I clean the tub with my Scotch Brite Extension Handle scrubber after it has been sprayed and let sit for about 10 minutes.

    ReplyDelete