Saturday, April 2, 2011

Green-Eyed Monster


While Frank was out of town, I decided to hang out at my parents' for the afternoon.  Remember the last time we were at my parents', and how well Jacob got along with his cousin Caleb?  That was not the case today.  Today, my mom was sitting on the floor holding Jacob when Uncle Brian, Aunt Sarah, and Caleb came in the house.  I think all my mom did was kiss Caleb, and that prompted Jacob to get off her lap and bury his face in a chair cushion.  He didn't cry, but for the longest time, he wouldn't lift his face.  Total depression! 

Once he came out of hiding, he tried various tactics to focus the attention off of Caleb and on to him.  First, he took Caleb's toys. 




Am I cuter?  Do you think I'm cuter?  Look at me, I'm a baby too...

Then, he tried to distract my mom by leading her into the other room and eventually to the porch where he had her all to himself. Whenever he briefly rejoined us, he was quiet, which is not typical Jacob behavior, and he would not let mom have anything to do with Caleb.  His behavior couldn't have been more stereotypically jealous. Truly, he wasn't happy until they had left, and he was once again, the sole center of attention.  I've never seen him act like that with his older cousins, but I wonder if he understands that they are older and doesn't perceive them as a "threat" to his grandparents' attention. 



And, I mean, look how threatening this little face is!

I think my mom is going to need therapy after seeing how sad Jacob was, but I just thought it was interesting that a few weeks ago, Caleb didn't bother him at all.  Proof that kids really do change quickly! Probably by the time Jacob outgrows this phase, Caleb will have started it... there may be some interesting family dinners on my side for the next few years!


No comments:

Post a Comment