Monday, January 23, 2012

Diary of a Refugee Weekend (Or The Post With No Pictures)

This past weekend, Frank hosted some of his college buddies at our house.  They went out for dinner, and one spent the night, and I didn't want to be That Wife Who Tries to Hang Out With Her Husband's Friends, so Jacob and I went to my parents'.  We were refugees!

Actually, I dropped Jacob off with Grandma and Grandpa and went to visit my friend Emily who lives about half an hour from their house.  It was so nice just to sit and chat for a few hours! Ethan, her 4 year old, entertained us with his his hockey moves as we ate brownies and gossipped.  Caleb, her 2 year old, managed to stay awake for the brownies, but then went upstairs to take a a nap.  I seriously don't think we've had that much time just to have a conversation since we started having kids.  It was fabulous. 

I was in such a chill mood driving back to my parents'-- anticipating my mom's pulled pork and cheesy potatoes--but when I walked in the door, Jacob flew at me.  Remember sweet little cousin Caleb, who Jacob views as his arch-rival for Grandma's attention?  Well, sweet little cousin Caleb had arrived for dinner, along with Uncle Brian and Aunt Sarah, and Jacob was not amused.  That's putting it mildly.  We spent the next few hours eating our delicious dinner and watching Jacob try to pretend he was the only grandchild.  Each time the kids get together, I think, "Maybe this will be the time they start to become friends."  But Saturday wasn't that time. 

Later that evening, I was trying to remember the last time I had spent the night at my parents' house, and I think it was Easter of 2010.  I think.  Then, I tried to remember the last time I spent the night there without Frank, and that was September 2007, the one and only weekend we spend apart while we were dating.  Apparently, Jacob was thinking about Frank, too, because all of a sudden he yelled, "Dada! Car! Home! Nowwwww!"  After a quick call to say goodnight -and interrupt Dada's dinner- he settled down, and we curled up in bed together.

For two refugees, we had a pretty nice weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment