Thursday, June 14, 2012

Morning Routine

I was talking with someone recently who couldn't believe that our weekday morning routine is so structured.  Actually, our whole day is pretty structured, but 6-8 am in particular, runs like clockwork.

When Jacob was first born, I found things worked out better if I had my time in the morning to shower, put on makeup, and fix my hair. It's equivalent to putting on your own oxygen mask before assisting others.  I've heard of a lot of new moms who stay in pj's all day or say they don't have time to shower.  Quite honestly, staying in my pj's depresses me, and I know it's all about priorities, but if you want a shower, take a shower.  Baby + bouncy seat = problem solved.

On a normal day, we wake up around 6 am, and I hop in the shower while Frank changes Jacob's diaper and gives him a sippy cup of milk.  Frank makes coffee and eats a power bar while he checks email and Facebook.  Jacob either plays with his cars or watches cartoons in the playroom during this time.

It takes me a few minutes *cough* to get ready.  I believe in the following principle:


So by 6:45-7:00, I finish my routine, make the beds, and choose Jacob's outfit for the day.  Frank is in the shower by 7, while I get Jacob dressed.

By 7:10 Jacob is eating breakfast.  Typically, he has 3 choices for breakfast:  hot cereal (Cream of Wheat), cold cereal, or an Eggo waffle.  Like any kid, he goes through phases, but lately he has chosen hot cereal or cold cereal.  I have a 1/2 cup of coffee and sit at the table with him while he eats.

Around 7:20, Frank comes downstairs and tries to take the rest of the coffee.  I remind him ever -so-sweetly that I still want my allotted 1/2 a a cup.  (I try to be a good girl with the caffeine when I'm pregnant.)  Jacob finishes breakfast, Frank feeds the cat, and leaves for work.

From 7:30-8:00 is my breakfast and computer time.  Jacob usually watches Cat in the Hat (Worst.  Show.  Ever.) during this time.

We start our "work" by 8 am.  What work we do that day depends on the day of the week, since I assign different jobs to different days (i.e. Monday is my day to grade, Tuesday I clean bathrooms, etc.)

When Baby #2 arrives in the next 10 or so weeks----10 weeks!!!---- the schedule will shift again, but since we are very routine-loving people, I'm hoping to get back to "normal" as quickly as possible.

Famous last words.



No comments:

Post a Comment