Thursday, January 9, 2014

Before My Eyes

A few weeks ago we were at a restaurant, and when the waiter came to take our order, Jacob spoke up, completely unprompted:

"I'd like chicken nuggets and fries, please."

Frank and I just looked at each other and laughed.  We had no idea he knew how to order for himself.


This morning, the dad of one of his school friends said that his son keeps asking to invite Jacob over to play. I said Jacob would love to, and then I realized:  this would be his first playdate where the parents weren't friends of ours first.  I would have no problems with leaving him at their house, but up until now, our playdates usually consist of the mom and I having coffee while the kids run around.


Today I also signed Jacob up for his second year of preschool.  It will still only be three mornings a week, but it will be an adjustment to our schedule.  I can't help but think of next year when I will be signing him up for kindergarten.  We've been stuck to each other like glue for four years, one month, and two days...it's going to be a major, major life change for both of us to be separated for seven hours a day, five days a week.  (and yes, I've already thought about half-day kindergarten, which, though unpopular in our district, is an option.)


Don't get me wrong.  I very nearly strangled him twice yesterday because he refuses to listen and pay attention.  Most of the time, I can't wait for him to grow up but every now and then, I realize... he is. Mother/son playdates will be a thing of the past.  He won't always request me to sing to him before bed. The corner in my kitchen won't always be a designated parking lot for Hot Wheels cars, and eventually Mimi, his beloved stuffed dolphin, will just sit on his shelf instead of joining in his make-believe adventures.


Did you know that there are 940 Saturdays between a child's birth and the time he leaves for college? Everyone says the time flies, and usually I am wrapped up in my days and don't think much about how my kids move towards independence each day.

But every now and then, I see it happening right before my eyes. 

Jacob, January 2011

Jacob, December 2013


No comments:

Post a Comment