Monday, November 4, 2013

Fall Festival Weekend

Last weekend, we went to Frank's hometown for Fall Festival.  Fall Festival is easily one of my favorite times of the year-- football games, colorful leaves, and parades-- it's magical.

Frank took a half day off on Friday, and we made it there in time for a Bearcats football game.  The kids and I didn't last long, though, since Carter was cold and Jacob was anti-social that evening.  I snapped a quick picture of Gary, Frank, Jacob and Carter before we headed home.


Saturday morning was the kiddie parade and costume judging.  If you know me, you know I'm not really competitive... but maybe I am when it comes to my kids.  I want them to WIN that darn thing!

I felt like their costumes really represented their personalities.  Jacob was a phone and Carter was a frog prince/Prince Charming.



Historically, Jacob has had tantrums of epic proportion during the parade and judging, but I'm happy to report that this year, he behaved well.  Unfortunately, Carter decided to carry on Jacob's tradition.  We marched down the main street with Carter yelling at the top of his lungs and throwing himself from side to side in my arms.  By the time we reached the judges' station,  he was even angrier, and I was sweating. We seriously debated leaving before judging.  The next half an hour spiraled downward, if possible, with the only redeeming point being Carter taking Second Place for his age/category.  After he placed, I was glad we toughed it out and stayed for judging.  To me, the kiddie parade and costume judging is a lot like the amnesia you have with childbirth.  It's such an ordeal, but every year we keep coming back, somehow only remembering the good parts.

How could one little frog possibly make so much trouble?

The big parade was that evening, and we had absolutely spectacular weather!  The highlight of the parade was watching for Anna, who received the Business of the Year Award.  As she will be retiring in the next year, it was a fitting way to be honored at her "last" parade. 

 (I starred over the last name for privacy.)

There were fire trucks, marching bands, and some pretty cool floats.


Oh, and CANDY!


We love Fall Festival weekend and had a great time, naughty little frog notwithstanding.  :)





No comments:

Post a Comment